He, Him, His
I co-lead our national getREAL project, which is focused on promoting systemic changes that improve outcomes for children and youth in the areas of healthy sexual and identity development. I also provide guidance on our equity work.
I do this work because
It has been my life’s mission to make a difference in the lives of people most impacted by oppression. I am inspired by the work my colleagues and I do that is impactful and the opportunities we continue to seek out to make a difference.
I am most proud of
Over my 40-year career I have had a number of personal and professional accomplishments. At CSSP, I am most proud of developing and institutionalizing our getREAL project, and the way in which it has expanded and continues to make a difference.
- Deputy Director, Division of Children Youth and Families, San Francisco Department of Human Services
- Program Officer, Strengthening the Public Child Welfare System Program Area in California and Washington State, Stuart Foundation
- Senior Consultant, Family to Family Initiative, Annie E. Casey Foundation
Education and Awards
- M.A. in Public Service, University of San Francisco
- Community Service Award, MAC’S Children and Family Services, San Francisco 1999 (for developing the first Transition Housing Program for Current Foster Youth, aged 17).
- San Francisco Child Advocate of the Year Award, 2001 (in support of my community work during my tenure as Deputy Director under former Mayor Willie Brown’s administration).
- Award of Appreciation from National Center on Immigration and Child Welfare, 2010 (presented on behalf of the American Humane Association for my work in securing funding and support in the development and expansion of CSSP’s work).
When the day is done
I love international travel, spending time with friends socially and entertaining at our home, and regular exercise such as bicycling, walking, and working out at the gym.
- Implementing System Wide Policy and Practice Improvements to Support LGBTQ+ Youth
- Welcoming, Affirming, Supporting: Child Welfare Systems Must Honor the WHOLE Child
- Supporting Permanency for LGBTQ+ and Gender Expansive Youth
- Progress Towards Building an Affirming and Supportive Child Welfare System: getREAL in Allegheny County
- Surviving the Streets of NYC: Experiences of LGBTQ Youth Engaged in Survival Sex