He, Him, His
I serve as a Senior Fellow and lead our work on equitable, inclusive, mixed-income communities, a comprehensive strategy that leverages all policy and program tools in high-poverty communities to improve conditions that enable all children and families to be stable and thriving.
I do this work because
I have spent a lifetime in pursuit of greater equity, inclusion, and opportunity, from a focus on education reform and workforce development, community/civic engagement and organizing, housing and community development, economic development, transportation, and the environment/climate change.
I am most proud of
My leadership and service to the country during the Obama Administration—from my policy and program innovation related to the flagship place-based initiatives, to my roles in creating new approaches to regional equity with the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) rule, to my global leadership with the State Department on equitable, sustainable, and inclusive cities and preparations for Habitat III.
- Senior Appointed Leader during the Administration of President Barack Obama
- Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Policy Development and Research, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Acting Director, Office of Economic Resilience, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Senior Advisor, Office of Sustainable Housing and Communities, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Senior Associate, Responsible Redevelopment/Regional Opportunity, Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Project Director, Member of Senior Leadership Team, The Harwood Institute for Public Innovation
- Co-Leader, Corporate Practice, TCC Group
- Associate Director, BellSouth Corporation
Education and Awards
- J.D., Chapin-Thomas Scholar, University of Cincinnati
- B.S., William E. Brock Scholar, University of Tennessee
- Commendation for Excellence in Leadership by President Barack Obama
- National Equity Award, PolicyLink
- Commendation Award by Secretary Shaun Donovan
- Signal Award for Excellence in Leadership, BellSouth Corporation
When the day is done
I enjoy spending time with and taking care of my family (immediate and extended); playing and watching sports of all kinds; serving through board leadership in the arts and culture, education, civic engagement, vulnerable families, and racial equity arenas; and traveling domestically and internationally.