She, Her, Hers
I advance our policy work—focusing on equity-driven policies to support young children and families and with a primary focus on child health, childhood trauma, toxic stress, and adverse childhood experiences (ACEs).
I do this work because
I believe that children and families are incredibly resilient. If we commit to understanding the root causes of early adversity, toxic stress, and trauma, and to developing strategies that can support children and families who experience compounding stressors, we can improve systems and change community conditions so that all children and families can thrive.
I am most proud of
Taking the leap away from academia after graduate school and doing a congressional fellowship in the Senate. It was a deep dive into what policy making looks like and helped me bridge my interests and research on resiliency and trauma with what it takes to advance policies that can support children and families.
- Director of Early Childhood and Child Welfare Initiatives, Families USA
- Senior Associate and Project Director, CSSP
- Vice President for Child Welfare Policy and Director of the State Policy Advocacy and Reform Center, First Focus
Education and Awards
- Ph.D., Yale University
- M.S., Yale University
- B.A., Kalamazoo College
When the day is done
I enjoy spending time with my three kids and husband, often walking to various playgrounds in Takoma Park (in Washington, DC), exploring new coffee shops and restaurants, or at the farmer’s market.
- Caring for Each Other: What it Takes to Promote Mental Health and Well-Being
- Anti-Racist Approaches in Health Care: Community Health Workers as Catalysts for Change in Health Systems
- Supporting the Sexual and Reproductive Health of Youth in Foster Care After Roe
- Grounding Family and Child Well-Being Policies and Systems in Anti-Racist Principles and Strategies
- Supporting the First 1,000 Days of A Child’s Life: An Anti-Racist Blueprint for Early Childhood Well-Being and Child Welfare Prevention
- What We Owe Young Children: An Anti-Racist Policy Platform for Early Childhood
- A Critical Resource at Risk: Supporting Kinship Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond
- Putting Our Children at Risk: The Impact of the Public Charge Rule on Immigrant Children and Families